How to Deal with Obscene or Harassing Calls
If you get an annoying, obscene or threatening call, hang up immediately. Threatening calls should be reported immediately to the police. If calls persist, you may use the following Call Trace procedures.
Call Trace allows you to automatically activate a trace of an obscene, threatening or harassing call. After receiving such a call, you simply dial a special code to have the calling party’s number printed at Garden Valley. There is a $1.00 charge for each successful Call Trace that is investigated.
To Use Call Trace:
- Hang up after receiving the annoying
- Lift the receiver and listen for dial
- Press *57, then listen for the announcement which will tell you if your trace was (If you have a rotary phone, dial 1157.)
Additional Option (If you do not want to use Call Trace)
- Contact your local law enforcement
- Complete required call tracing form provided by your local law enforcement
- Return completed form to local law
- For further assistance, call the Garden Valley business office at 218-687-5251 or 800-448-8260 and ask for the representative that handles call tracing
National Do-Not-Call Registry
The federal government created the Do-Not-Call Registry to make it easier and more efficient for consumers to stop getting most telemarketing sales calls they don’t want. You can register home or personal cell phone numbers online at www.donotcall.gov, or call toll-free, 888-382-1222 (voice) or 866-290-4236 (TTY), from the number you wish to register. Registration is free and your number will stay in the registry indefinitely, until it is disconnected, or until you delete it from the registry. If you register online, you will receive a confirmation email from donotcall.gov. You must click on the link in the email within 72 hours to complete your registration.
If you receive telemarketing calls after you have registered your telephone number and it has been in the registry for 31 days, you can file a complaint at www.donotcall.gov or by calling 888-382-1222 (voice) or 866-290-4236 (TTY). You will have to know the date of the call, and either the company’s name or phone number to file a “do not call” complaint.
Reminder: Even if your number is registered, companies with which you do business may continue to call you…so may charities, political organizations, telephone surveyors and debt collection calls