College Scholarship Opportunities through MTA and FRS
Garden Valley Technologies participates in MTA’s scholarship program and is approaching high schools in their serving area looking for potential scholarship winners. Ten scholarships will be awarded to 2020 Minnesota graduating high school seniors. Each scholarship with be a one-time amount of either $2,000 or $1,000. There are three types of scholarships offered this year:
- One $2,000 Telecom Scholarship: To be eligible, applicants must be majoring in either Telecommunications or Information Technology (IT) at a university, college, or technical college and be a Minnesota resident.
- One of four $1,000 Scholarships, provided by the MTA Network and Plant Operations Peer Group: To be eligible, applicants must be majoring in either Telecommunications or Information Technology (IT) at a university, college, or technical college and be a Minnesota resident.
- One of Five $2,000 General Scholarships: To be eligible applicants must be attending post-secondary education at either a university, college, or technical college, be a Minnesota resident, and the applicant’s family must subscribe to at least one service from Garden Valley Technologies (GVT).
GVT, along with other local telecom companies throughout Minnesota, is approaching high schools in its serving area looking for potential scholarship winners. A telecom alliance panel will review the applications and select the scholarship recipients based on applicants’ grades, academic achievements and extra-curricular activities. Preference to receive the scholarships is given to students who have an interest in information or telecommunications technology and rural communities.
The MTA Scholarship application is online and may be accessed by visiting MTA’s website.
Once a student has completed the application online, they need to print a copy and attach the required documentation. A checklist is part of the online application to aid the students in ensuring their application is complete.
Properly completed applications must be submitted by February 21, 2020 to CEO/General Manager, Garden Valley Technologies, P. O. Box 259, Erskine, MN 56535. Completed applications should not be sent to the Foundation.
The Foundation for Rural Service (FRS), in cooperation with NTCA–The Rural Broadband Association, seeks to sustain and enhance the quality of life in America by advancing an understanding of rural issues. In keeping with its mission, furthering the education of rural youth is one of the Foundation’s primary focuses. Garden Valley Technologies is a member of NTCA and is proud to support the FRS in this worthy endeavor. We are very excited to bring these scholarship opportunities to students in our local school districts!
Here’s Your Chance to Win College FRS Scholarships!
$2,000 – Foundation for Rural Service Scholarship
(plus an additional $500 contribution from Garden Valley Technologies)
– Everett Kneece Scholarship
– Good Neighbor Scholarship
– JSI Scholarship
Each applicant must:
- Be a graduating high school senior.
- Be a United States citizen.
- Must receive service from Garden Valley Technologies.
- Be accepted by an accredited 2- or 4-year college, university or vocational/technical school.
- Have at least a C grade point average (GPA).
- Express an interest to return to a rural community following graduation.
Visit www.FRS.org/student for full instructions on how to create an account and for all necessary materials required.
The application deadline is March 6, 2020